CARING FOR YOUR BIRDHOUSE
We want you to get years of use and enjoyment out of your birdhouse kit. All of our glue together kits are made out of a beautiful, durable wood called cypress. With proper care you will be able to pass your birdhouse down for years to come.
Cypress wood contains a natural preservative that is both rot and insect resistant. Cypress is capable of withstanding the elements without a finish of any kind, though a periodic coat of oil will keep the wood looking fresh longer. Cypress weathers to a silver gray over time similar to cedar, but has enough oil content to resist water and rot for a while. Cypress is also a very stable wood, with little shrinking or swelling throughout the changing seasons.
So what makes cypress a great option for outdoor use? Cypress is a great option for making outdoor birdhouses due its ability to with stand the weather elements for a long period of time without any kind of finish. It’s a light wood with a pretty grain pattern, which makes a great visual impact as well. Because of its lighter color and beautiful grain, if you decide to stain your birdhouse it will really pop. Cypress is both durable and beautiful making it a perfect option for a birdhouse that will last for years.
- The kits are designed to look rustic. There may be some very small gaps between the pieces after assembly. This is normal and gives it a natural rustic appearance.
- If you plan on staining the birdhouse, take note that any extra glue from the glue joints will not stain the same color as the wood. Personally we think this makes it look like chinking the joints of old time. If you want it to have a uniform appearance after staining, be sure to wipe any excess glue from the joints with a wet towel and a toothpick before it dries. Remember more glue is not better. Keep the amount of glue used to a minimum.
- Cypress will age naturally to a gray color if left untreated. To keep the natural honey color, be sure to seal the kit with tung oil or other exterior sealant. Or you can paint it using one or more colors to make it even more cute.
- The house can be hung by using eye-screws (not included) in the roof or on the top of a flat post. We use industrial Velcro to attach the house floor to the post so it can be removed if necessary.
CARING FOR YOUR TOOLBOX
We want you to get years of use and enjoyment out of your toolbox kit. Our toolbox kits are made entirely of solid, durable Plywood. With proper care you will be able to get years of use out of your toolbox and even pass it down to a loved one.
Plywood is made of thin layers of wood bonded together with an adhesive. Each layer of wood, or ply, is usually oriented with its grain running at right angles to the adjacent layer in order to reduce the shrinkage and improve the strength of the finished piece. Most plywood is pressed into large, flat sheets used in building construction. Other plywood pieces may be formed into simple or compound curves for use in furniture, boats, and aircraft. Plywood is a strong and durable wood and when cared for properly will last for years!
- Do not leave your toolbox exposed to outdoor weather (rain, high heat, freezing cold).
- To ensure your toolbox will last for years, be sure to seal the kit with an exterior sealant to protect against natural aging and weather elements.